Saturday, NPR Day! Everybody happy? Well, I should say!

Working with the parents of youth is as much a part of my job as working with the youth themselves. I often find myself in the middle of what are essentially "water-cooler" conversations with women and men that, while I nod and smile, I can't exactly relate with... or at least I couldn't until I got married. I am up past the time I wanted to be, with a huge headache, because my husband waited until about 2 hours ago to tell me he absolutely needed work clothes washed tonight. I had to smile because I was just with a group of parents today who were discussing the beginning of the new school year and some voiced comments about a return to their children doing nearly the same thing. "Mom, I have to have a dozen cookies for tomorrow," or new clothing, or have signed their parents up for something, or, my favorite, "Mom, I am supposed to bring a volcano tomorrow." lol The point is, in someways I don't think we ever grow up. :)

But that isn't my reason for writing. I couldn't let this weekend end without expressing my new found love of Saturdays. Working in retail or customer service, you don't get many Saturdays off, but I had never found that a hardship. I have always enjoyed having the day off when others are at work. It means more down time for me! I currently have Mondays off and consider each of them a treat. :) So you can see why I never say Saturdays as a big deal. It was a day to get things done when I wasn't working, and a day to work and then sleep when I was. But, being married with a house and dog has changed that. WBH and I typically get up around 10 and then lay in bed listening to Car Talk and laughing. When that is over, we move to the kitchen and make breakfast (usually pancakes of some kind) for all three of us (yes, Xander gets human food on saturdays) while listening to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. I then putter around the kitchen, cleaning after a week of hurry up meals and not wanting to do dishes, while listening to The Splendid Table.

If you have never spent a Saturday morning with your local NPR, I highly suggest it!

By this time, it is afternoon and our routine varies from there, but we try to spend the day together as much as possible. Sunday is a work day for me and a volunteer day for WBH, which means Saturday is the one day a week that we can truly spend together without worrying about others.

It's swiftly become my favorite day of the week.

Comments

  1. We are big NPR fans, and Car Talk is a favorite. We also like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and Prairie Home Companion (which I used to listen to YEARS ago with my Grandpa!). I totally understand your love of Saturdays.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben and I have a similar routine, although our day is Sunday. We sleep in, get up just in time for the Weekend Edition Puzzle, then make brunch. (well, he does) We catch Car Talk in the afternoon and at some point download and listen to the previous day's Wait Wait. My weekend is not complete without my dose of Carl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am fat.

I'm still fat.

Appeal