January

So yes, I am a few days (okay, a week) late for a January post, but really that is what this is.

My dear friend Kouw is challenging herself in an interesting way in 2013. Every month she is reading a book, trying a new recipe, and making a new craft, then blogging about it all. I found this fascinating and decided to try it as well.


  • Book:      So this is the main reason that this post is late. It was like pulling my own teeth to finish this book. Casual Vacancy by J.K.Rowling was not a good fit for me, at least not at the moment. It was slow and while there were moments of surprise, most of it felt very formulaic. I'm not a big fan and I don't know that I would read her next book if it is in the same vein.

          Usually I can start a finish a book in a couple days (or a day if I'm not doing anything else) so I am not worried about finishing something and being able to post this month. I have no idea what I will try to read though.
  • Recipe:       I tried several new recipes this month. The scariest was definitely making my own yogurt. It turned out really well though I like the taste of Oikos vanilla better so I will have to try something a bit different next time.

    I made manicotti on Monday for the first time. That was interesting. Adam and I were both wrist deep in filling trying to get it into the pasta, but it finally occurred to Adam to try a piping bag made out of a sandwich bag, which made our lives so much better! It was delicious (hard to mess up pasta, sauce, cheese, ground beef, spinach and mushrooms).

          I already have an idea what I want to try for February though I don't know if I will get to it. I find bread making fascinating so that is on the list. I have a peasant bread recipe and another for soda bread (one of my favorite things ever) to try.
Homemade Yogurt, before I let the whey drain. 
  • Craft:      I have finally picked up my needles again. I found an easy dish cloth pattern and that has been my focus. I have made a few for us and a few for my great Aunt Catherine who had asked me to make them some time ago. It is an easy project and it gives me joy each time I wash dishes with one. 


Kouw has her own reasons for doing this challenge, but I am doing it to force myself to get out of my funk. It's been a difficult few months and weeks and days. I'm still in counseling, I'm trying a new med, I'm doing what I can, but I am depressed. It helps me to have goals for myself that are just about me. At least I hope it helps. I guess I will find out!

Xander at Christmas, after tearing open his presents.


Comments

  1. I hope it works for you! I looooove manicotti. One of my favorite things to do is add a little bit of lemon zest to the filling. It gives it a really refreshing flavor but isn't too much.

    I'm sorry to hear The Casual Vacancy is what I've heard about it already.

    I've started a different blog to get out of my funk. I'm hoping it will encourage me to do more things like you're doing, because then I'll have something to write about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am fat.

I'm still fat.

Santorwrong