The Vicar of Who?

I am in love with Dawn French.  There, I've said it and (short of a few presses of the backspace key) there's no taking it back.  I have always thought she was funny, but I had no idea how funny until I stumbled across The Vicar of Dibley.  It is a British comedy that aired between 1994 and 2007, though not straight through which I am learning is a British thing. ;)

I love this show.  I have quite literally had to pause and run to the bathroom in order to keep from lizzing I was laughing so hard!  It has made me nearly pass out from giggles and this is from only the first two series.

Which brings me to the reason I am blogging about the show.  I am afraid to continue on.

From the first few episodes, I have been rooting for the Vicar (Geraldine) to get together with her greatest rival in the village, David Horton.  The two are hilarious together and I am convinced would make each other incredibly happy.  Think Elizabeth and Darcy.

In the last episode of the second series, titled Love and Marriage, Geraldine has made the decision to leave Dibley to work in the intercity of Liverpool mostly because the Bishop asked her to and partially because David's very charming and attractive, younger brother, Simon, lives there.  At the very end of each episodes Geraldine and her verger, Alice, sit at a table and tell each other jokes, which Alice, the adorable blonde that she is, usually does not understand.  In this last episode, Alice is on her honeymoon, so it is David and Geraldine at the table.  She tells him a joke and they both laugh.  Then they have this moment.  You know the kind where they just look at each other and you know that they are really seeing each other clearly for the first time and more than that, they are really liking what they see?  That kind of moment.  The kind that made me scream, "YES!"  And then, he sort of takes a deep breath and simply says, "stay," and you can see the surprised, happily so, expression on her face and the episode ends.

It was perfect, absolutely perfect.  In that one look and one word, I saw a future for them that would be so wonderful. I could just imagine the craziness of the two of them living together and how it would change the village dynamics.  It would be so hilarious and perfect for the show.

IF the writers saw things the same way.  You see, this is the problem with having my imagination.  Many a good show have been ruined forever for me by writers who tease me with what I want for the characters, only to have my hopes dashed and ruined forever.

I didn't have time to continue on watching, so I decided to check the episode guide to see what happens in the future.  It turns out David does propose to her, but after having a dream, she refuses him.  WTF???  And apparently in later episodes she ends up marrying an accountant who is some young thing that is all the rage on the interwebs, I found after a few googlings.  I honestly don't know if I can continue watching.  I love this show, but I don't know if I can handle seeing him proposing and having hope for them again, only to have it ruined and THEN to have to watch her marry some guy that isn't even a character on the show now.

This is the reason I cannot watch Grey's Anatomy.  They ruined George and Callie and I could not forgive them for it.  I don't want The Vicar of Dibley to be another of those shows and I am really worried it will be, but at the same time, I can't not watch more and miss those laughs, right?  And what happens if I like the young one?  Even if the character guide says that David's love for her remains, "steadfast and true."  Sigh...

I just don't know.

Comments

  1. Oh the life of a fangirl. I feel ya there. Damn writers, who do they think they are? ;) You and I both must share a love/hate relationship with our imaginations (mostly love, I think). Ironically though, this tension between the two is supposed to keep you coming back for more and some of us just aren't having it. Just ask Ann about Bones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am fat.

I'm still fat.

Appeal