Tomorrow is Father's Day. You know this year I was really hit with Mother's Day, although I have never been one to really celebrate the day with my mom. And now, after losing my dad nearly eighteen years ago, I am really spending a lot of time thinking about Father's Day.

Growing up, we never really celebrated, even with Grandpa. I know the commercial idea of the day, with barbecues and such. I always found it odd that mom's day was all about her getting pampered, while dad's was about him cooking over a hot grill all day and maybe lawn work besides.

Although I lost my father so early, it was always the lack of a relationship with my mom that bothered me. Now that they are both gone, I can see how wanting what still might (on some completely other plane of being) have been possible, made me hurt less for the loss of what was impossible. I think losing mom has somehow freed me up to really deal with the loss of my father and so I am working on it.

It might take another eighteen years. :)

In the meantime, to lift up this post, I wanted to share this youtube video which cracked me up. Have a happy day.

Comments

  1. Your family life as a child has been so vastly different from mine, i hardly know what to say. But that it is good that you are finding it within yourself to deal with issues from your past, which can only help you become even stronger than you already are.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am fat.

I'm still fat.

Appeal