Whaa?

Okay I may be completely wrong about this, but I am offended. I was wandering around the book section at Walmart tonight as Adam looked through the DVDs and blue-ray (season 3 of Breaking Bad!). I picked up a book, Saved and Single by Sheila Copeland and thought about buying it. As I was looking at it and the other Christian fiction, I noticed that all the covers featured African Americans. As I took a step back, I realized every book on the two 4-foot shelving units on the back wall were fiction and non-fiction written by or at least featuring black men and women on the cover.

These shelves were along the back wall, next to the tvs. The rest of the books were in an aisle the ended at the section, but I still found the segregation of the books disturbing and unnecessary. I'll admit to having the same thoughts about cards geared toward African Americans at Hallmark, but at least they are all from one company.

I just had to put this out there and see what you guys thought. Please comment!

Comments

  1. That's interesting! I know recently there has been a kind of movement in literature of African Americans trying to take back their culture and their words in books. I never thought that creating a genre and classes on strictly African American literature was actually helping to segregate it from the rest. I wonder though, if it wasn't African American literature, or this country didn't have the history that it does, if the word "segregate" would even come up, or if it would just be another genre like YA or Harlequin Romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It even included biographies. I suppose it is an interest section, but I was still having issues with the set up

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am fat.

I'm still fat.

Santorwrong